Since moving to the Northwest after living in the mountains for so many years, I really miss snowy winters. That's why I got so excited when I woke up yesterday to this....
I personally love snow days because they are a great excuse to stay home and enjoy the family. Besides sledding, snowball fights and snow angels, it's a good time to just have fun playing games, doing crafts, and building forts.
Since it's going to be a week of bitterly cold weather here is some advice from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene to ‘weather’ the winter in a healthy way:
● Cover your head. You lose as much as 50 percent of your body heat through your head.
● Wear several layers of lightweight, loose-fitting clothing. The air between the layers
acts as insulation to keep you warmer.
● Cover your mouth with a scarf to protect lungs from direct, extremely cold air. Cover
your ears and lower part of your face as well.
● Wear mittens rather than fingered gloves. The close contact of fingers helps to keep
your hands warm.
● Wear warm leg coverings and heavy socks, or two pairs of lightweight socks.
● Wear waterproof boots or sturdy shoes to keep your feet warm and dry.
Here is a Snow Day Schedule from the Family Fun website designed to keep kids entertained all day:
I hope you are all enjoying the snow as much as I am. I'd love to hear what you are doing to enjoy this snow day. Have fun and keep safe.