Thursday, February 12, 2009

Confessions Of A Valentine Rebel

I have a confession to make....I don't know about you all, but I'm one of those people that rebels against the commercial version of  Valentines day. It just irks me that flowers double in price and it's almost impossible to even get into your favorite restaurant unless you plan a month in advance. So I rebel. Some of you will think this weird, but, years ago I let my husband know that I do not want flowers or gifts on Valentines day.  I would much rather get them some other day at half the cost. Nor do I want to go out and fight crowds to eat at a restaurant. Instead, we enjoy celebrating at home. Usually we will hang out with the grandkids so that their parents can go out on a date. This year we are going with the whole family to watch the Monster Jam at the Rose Garden.

Last year we had such a fun little Italian Restaurant Dinner Party (at home) that I thought I'd share it with you. 

First I had the boys help me plan a menu:

Spaghetti with Meatballs
Green Salad
Garlic Cheese Bread
Sparkling Cider 
Tiramisu and Cheesecake

To create the atmosphere my grandson and I went on to itunes and found Italian Restaurant music and downloaded it to my ipod, then we set a fancy table complete with multiple dishes at each place setting and candles. We invited a friend and her two daughters to join us for our celebration. This was a very inexpensive celebration and we didn't have to fight any crowds. Great fun was had by all.

I'd love to hear from you. How do you celebrate Valentines day? Do you have any fun ideas you have done in the past or that you're planning to do this year, that you would like to share? If so, just leave a comment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you on this one! Rebels UNITE!

Julia said...

Sus, we feel the same way! Jeff & I have always worked in the restaurant business so we rarely get Valentines night off together. We usually do something special to celebrate on a different night:)
Plus I HATE that most restaurants have a set menu on holidays:( If I'm going to try out a new restaurant I want to decide what I want to eat:)